Cheryl beat out over 100+ other applicants to be one of four finalists in our Favourite Family Recipe Contest with Global News Morning. During November, we invited each finalist to the Live Kitchen in our Richmond showroom to share their history-rich recipes with us. You can now recreate Cheryl’s taco pie recipe at home.
The story behind this recipe:
“After a 25-year marriage ended, and with six teenagers/young adults, our father met a lovely lady, Edie. Edie and dad met at their complex pool, and they are still together today. Little did Edie know just how big the family would grow! (at the time) With many grandkids and now eight great-grandkids.
Edie made us Taco Pie one time, and we have been making it ever since. It’s less messy than tacos and just as tasty!”
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 7 ½oz can tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 8 oz can refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 cups crushed corn chips
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Brown the beef and onion in a pan.
- Drain the fat from cooking.
- Add tomato sauce and taco seasoning.
- Separate the crescent triangles and place them into a pie plate to form a crust.
- Sprinkle half the corn chips over the crust.
- Add meat mixture.
- Spread sour cream over meat.
- Cover with cheese and sprinkle remaining corn chips on top.
- Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Serve with salad and tomatoes.
Looking to recreate the other finalists’ recipe at home? Find them on our recap blog with video segments of Global News Morning, where our finalists shared their fond childhood memories of their dish.